Scheduled PAT Testing
Appliances That Require PAT Testing
A wide variety of electrical appliances require regular testing to keep them working safely and efficiently. These appliances include:
- Class 1 Equipment: Kettles, irons, toasters, microwaves, fridges, freezers, etc.
- Class 2 Equipment: Televisions, lamps, power tools, hairdryers, etc.
- IT Equipment: Computers, visual display units, printers, etc. Only equipment not manufactured according to BS EN 60950 will be tested.
Types of electrical appliances that will be tested include portable and moveable appliances weighing less than 18kg, stationary appliances weighing more than 18kg, and IT appliances.
PAT Testing Frequency
The frequency of performance of these tests relies on a multitude of factors, including the following:
- The type of installation.
- How and how often the installation is used.
- The electric frequency of the installation.
- Any maintenance or repairs performed on the installation.
While there are no set requirements for how often PAT testing should be carried out, there are some recommendations for how often your systems should be tested. These recommendations include:
- For Offices, Shops, and Hotels: All Class 1 equipment, including IT equipment, should be tested every 48 months, while moveable and portable equipment should be tested every 24 months. Handheld equipment should be tested every 12 hours.
- For Schools: All Class 1 equipment used in schools should be tested every 12 months, and Class 2 equipment should be tested every 48 months.
- For Public Use Equipment: Stationary and IT equipment should be tested every 12 months. Class 2 equipment should be tested every 12 months, and Class 1 should be tested every size months.
- For Construction: 110V equipment on construction sites should be tested every three months.
- For Industrial Sites: Portable and handheld equipment in industrial sites should be tested every six months, while all IT and moveable equipment should be tested every 12 months.
Our PAT Testing Procedure
West Country Electrical can carry our extensive PAT testing at a time and frequency that suits you, providing you with a PAT certificate once we have finished our testing. This extensive certificate will detail each appliance that has been tested, as well as the appliance place and test outcome. We can also provide any reactive maintenance where necessary.
The specific tests we carry out during our PAT testing include:
- Comprehensive Visual Inspection.
- Earth Continuity Test.
Insulation Resistance Test.
- Polarity Test.
- Load Test.
- Touch Leakage Test.
- Substitute Leakage Test.
Every aspect of our PAT tests is carried out with exceptional attention to detail and according to the highest standards, giving you the peace of mind that all the electrics of your business are working safely and efficiently.